NOTE: This information is provided for informational purposes only. It is NOT a legal guide, and should not be construed as such. You should always consult with a laywer or your in-house business counsel, on any new regulations or laws impacting your business or brand.
What is the GDPR, exactly?
GDPR is an acronym that stands for the General Data Protection Regulation. These are new rules adopt by the European Union and, subsequently, the United Kingdom (UK) as an extension of the EU regulations, which take affect on May 25, 2018.
In the EU, the European Commission's regulations and guidelines can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
In the UK, the GDPR will be enforced by the country's Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO can be found online here:
Find a general overview of the GDPR from the UK's Local Government Association here.
Full link is:
Those are your best starting points (always go straight to source!).
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has the following guide online:
This reference list of links and sources is compiled from a North American-based perspective. We cannot guarantee accuracy, only that the links were active as of May 15, 2018.
So here is the Simon Says WP list of GDPR resources (that we know of) related to privacy and compliance via the software and services that you use for small businesses and other digital practices.
Top Domain and Hosting Providers
- eNom https://www.enom.com/support/the-gdpr
- GoDaddy https://www.godaddy.com/garage/preparing-for-gdpr-important-stuff-you-need-to-know/
- HostGator https://support.hostgator.com/articles/pre-sales-policies/general-data-protection-regulation
- BlueHost https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/gdpr
- WordPress https://wordpress.org/news/2018/04/gdpr-compliance-tools-in-wordpress/
- Drupal https://www.drupal.org/project/drupal_gdpr_team
- Shopify https://help.shopify.com/manual/your-account/GDPR/GDPR-Shopify
- Wix https://support.wix.com/en/article/general-data-protection-regulation-gdp
- Joomla - organization specific link not found
- LeadPages https://www.leadpages.net/blog/leadpages-gdpr/
- Unbounce https://unbounce.com/gdpr/
Social Media Sites
Facebook for Business
- No direct company-based/sourced link found
- Google's Privacy Compliance https://privacy.google.com/businesses/compliance
- Google Cloud https://cloud.google.com/security/gdpr/
Microsoft and Bing
- Microsoft has a central respository of information on GDPR as relates to their products here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/TrustCenter/Privacy/gdpr/default.aspx
The Major CRM, Sales and Email Marketing Providers
- Hubspot https://www.hubspot.com/data-privacy/gdpr
- Salesforce https://www.salesforce.com/gdpr/overview/
- Infusionsoft https://www.infusionsoft.com/legal/data-protection-faq
- MailChimp https://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/management/about-the-general-data-protection-regulation
- Constant Contact https://blogs.constantcontact.com/gdpr-how-to-comply/
- GetResponse https://www.getresponse.com/resources/getresponse-university/guides/general-data-protection-regulation-eu-gdpr.html
- Pipedrive https://support.pipedrive.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000335129-Pipedrive-and-GDPR
- Agile CRM https://www.agilecrm.com/gdpr-compliance
- ProsperWorks https://support.prosperworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002158572-Does-ProsperWorks-Comply-to-the-EU-General-Data-Protection-Regulation-GDPR-
- Insightly https://support.insight.ly/hc/en-us/community/posts/360001626293-Insightly-s-GDPR-readiness
- Active Campaign https://www.activecampaign.com/gdpr-updates/
- SendGrid https://sendgrid.com/resource/general-data-protection-regulation/
- MadMimi https://help.madmimi.com/what-is-gdpr-and-how-does-it-affect-me/
- Zoho's (including Zoho CRM, Zoho Social, etc) GDPR Compliance Corporate Statement https://www.zoho.com/gdpr.html
Other Major Software and Services You Might Use
- Slack https://slack.com/gdpr
- Trello https://help.trello.com/article/1118-trello-and-gdpr-our-commitment-to-data-privacy
- Asana https://blog.asana.com/2018/04/asana-gdpr/
- Hootsuite https://hootsuite.com/legal/general-data-protection-regulation
- Evernote https://evernote.com/privacy/gdpr
- Clicky https://clicky.com/blog/349/gdpr
Box.com is offering a free e-book on GDPR compliance issues as well:
Buffer has complied a blog post on GDPR compliance for Social Media Marketers here: https://blog.bufferapp.com/gdpr-social-media
"GDPR and The Cloud. What You Need to Know."
From CSO Online:
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements, deadlines and facts